It has been quite a while since I have posted, and I am only doing so now (today) because I was nudged my a friend of mine - Pat Fahey.
Current Goal for 2012
My progress towards my current goal is really coming along. I set out on January 1st, 2012 to run at least 100 miles every month of the year. I barely made it in January, logging 101 miles. From there I went up to 135 miles, 165 miles, and so on. Some months I was really able to get out a lot and felt highly motivated, others were hindered by weather, life, and motivation. In August I hit a road block with my first ever injury, tendonitis in the top of my left foot. I was forced to take off two entire weeks and only logged 75 miles. The next month I ran an Ultra, the Labor Pains 12 Hour Race, and was knocked back again. I injured my other foot, same condition, at mile 17 or so. I managed to run 14 miles in agonizing pain and log another 50K. I was shooting for 50M, but I had to stop at hour 8. If it wasn't for the injury, I certainly would have hit my goal! This caused another two week stop in my training, but it did not prevent me from hitting my goal of 100 miles for September! In October I came back strong with 149 miles. I am now shooting for 1500 miles for the year, and goal that I established in June or July when I realized that the 1200 miles was going to be no problem. I have NEVER logged so many miles in all my life. I contribute this simply to setting goals and finding bigger and badder races to enter. I will most certainly log my final 240 miles and hit 1500 by December 31, 2012!
Looking Forward to 2013
I will certainly shoot for 1500 miles again, this time a little more passively. My real goal is to see just how far I can go in one shot. I will definitely run my first 50M race in 2013, and most likely more than one. I am looking to do The North Face 50M in Washington D.C. on June 2, but there are a few others that I may hit including the Ice Trail 50M in Wisconsin. It's one of the oldest trail 50M races in the country. I only run trail races anymore, so whatever I do it will involve dirt, rocks, water, mud, hills, logs, and some serious adventure!! Depending on how those goes, I just may have to go for 100M. The Javalina Jundred is #1 on my list at this point. I've talked about both of these races (Ice Age and JJ) in prior posts, so you can scroll down and find out more or search the web and get the details.
Thanks for reading! Please write a comment if you've taken the time to visit my page and take a peek into my life. I have no idea who see this or how many people come through here. Even if I don't know you, just give a smily face or something. Thanks again.
My name is Matthew Houseknecht and I am now an ultra-marathoner....where to go from here?! I have moved my training posts and running updates to a blog so that the people who really want to keep informed about my life as a runner can read it. I really felt as if I was posting too much on Facebook and I got to the point that I may have annoyed some people. If you would like to follow me here, I believe you can sign up for email updates... Thanks for your support and checking out my page!
No comments:
Post a Comment